I have a student in my class because he wasn't doing well in his other class. Because I am more "structured" (my guess this means strict and not as fun), I was chosen. Things are going well. He is not a disruption in my class. It seems he used to do things such as hit kids in his other class. In fact I think he's currently getting a 'B' in my class. Since he works well on interaction (positive or negative), I make sure I talk to him each time I see him out of my class.
Tonight was a little difficult. When I was leaving school, he was out front with his two pit bulls (super cute, rather heavy, dogs... you know dogs like dog bite). Although I am doing better around dogs, it's difficult to see a dog I don't know without thinking of the dog bite incident. I admit I feel a little nervous. Knowing dogs can sense this only makes me a bit more anxious. Walking towards my student and the dog, I mustered courage. "Hi," I said, "Your dogs are beautiful. I think the smaller one is a bit pudgy." He didn't know what pudgy meant, so we had that conversation. I put my hand out for the dog to smell (pit bull... my what nice teeth you have) and patted the dogs head.
This may seem like a small insignificant incident, but the dog bite is still fresh in my memory. It was a "big step." Honestly, it will also go a long way with this boy. I stopped to talk to him and his dogs instead of walking straight to my car.
Tonight was a little difficult. When I was leaving school, he was out front with his two pit bulls (super cute, rather heavy, dogs... you know dogs like dog bite). Although I am doing better around dogs, it's difficult to see a dog I don't know without thinking of the dog bite incident. I admit I feel a little nervous. Knowing dogs can sense this only makes me a bit more anxious. Walking towards my student and the dog, I mustered courage. "Hi," I said, "Your dogs are beautiful. I think the smaller one is a bit pudgy." He didn't know what pudgy meant, so we had that conversation. I put my hand out for the dog to smell (pit bull... my what nice teeth you have) and patted the dogs head.
This may seem like a small insignificant incident, but the dog bite is still fresh in my memory. It was a "big step." Honestly, it will also go a long way with this boy. I stopped to talk to him and his dogs instead of walking straight to my car.
Comments