As I turned on the six o'clock news, they were observing a moment of silence for the bridge victims. The flag was unfurling at the bridge location as the names and pictures of the victims scrolled across the bottom of the screen. After the moment of silence one of the anchors expressed the importance of the date. Although it's only been a year, I think this is a day I will remember. This may be similar to remembering where I was when the space shuttle exploded or at least the moment I saw the news footage.
What was I doing last year on this date? I was sitting at church for our monthly book club oblivious to the outside world. As we finished the secretary came in and told us the news. I remember thinking little of the information as I left. When I returned home, I continued with the day. It wasn't until I turned on the television that I realized it was a major catastrophe.
Two days ago I actually drove parallel to the bridge. The progress is amazing. I was also awed to see how many families were walking the path and looking at the information posted to the makeshift fence. Maybe this tragedy has taught us something about working together and being aware of our surroundings.
What was I doing last year on this date? I was sitting at church for our monthly book club oblivious to the outside world. As we finished the secretary came in and told us the news. I remember thinking little of the information as I left. When I returned home, I continued with the day. It wasn't until I turned on the television that I realized it was a major catastrophe.
Two days ago I actually drove parallel to the bridge. The progress is amazing. I was also awed to see how many families were walking the path and looking at the information posted to the makeshift fence. Maybe this tragedy has taught us something about working together and being aware of our surroundings.
Comments