After spending three days at the MDE (Minnesota Department of Education), I feel validated. It was wonderful hearing the compliments specific to my knowledge and insight. I believe that I am an intelligent person and a good teacher who is knowledgeable about my material. The problem is that I don't receive much positive feedback at school. Perhaps it's because it is expected. Perhaps it's because it becomes common place because I work in the same job with the same people year after year. Perhaps it's because many of my colleagues and administrators don't really understand what I know and what I do. Perhaps it's because in the "day to day grind," people don't take the time to compliment and listen to each other.
This experience at the state department has made me realize my potential. Both facilitators took the time on different occasions to talk to me individually and thank me for my insight and ability to express it. It has me thinking about how many years I want to teach middle school. Can I make it another twenty years? At least I'm fairly sure there are other career paths which involve education which would be challenging and satisfactory for my abilities.
This experience at the state department has made me realize my potential. Both facilitators took the time on different occasions to talk to me individually and thank me for my insight and ability to express it. It has me thinking about how many years I want to teach middle school. Can I make it another twenty years? At least I'm fairly sure there are other career paths which involve education which would be challenging and satisfactory for my abilities.
Comments