Last week I had my school observation. The assistant principal was in my room for five to ten minutes. When he left the form on my desk, I was entertained. He wanted to know what interventions I had made for the special education and English as a Second Language students. Obviously he didn't know it was my honors class. To me this was more support that he wasn't aware of what goes on in the classroom. Didn't he look at the number of girls and white students in the room? For years I have complained about the make-up of the honors class because it is not representative of our population. In fact, I have worked to move students of color into my honors class.
Today I met with him to discuss the observation. I explained it was my honors class and explained how I am able to change the plans for my other mainstream classes (sped and ESL students). He didn't seem interested on how I accomodate the differing abilities in my classroom. Instead of spending most of the time talking about my teaching, he chose to discuss a committee I'm on for next year which happens to focus on positive behavior. He wanted to know how this committee was going to change my teaching.
It's probably not going to change my teaching. The purpose of the committee is to change the behavior of the school. One more reason to question his ability to serve as an assistant principal. Maybe he's hesitant to talk about my teaching since he's never been in a classroom. The problem is that I have less and less respect for him the longer I work with him.
Today I met with him to discuss the observation. I explained it was my honors class and explained how I am able to change the plans for my other mainstream classes (sped and ESL students). He didn't seem interested on how I accomodate the differing abilities in my classroom. Instead of spending most of the time talking about my teaching, he chose to discuss a committee I'm on for next year which happens to focus on positive behavior. He wanted to know how this committee was going to change my teaching.
It's probably not going to change my teaching. The purpose of the committee is to change the behavior of the school. One more reason to question his ability to serve as an assistant principal. Maybe he's hesitant to talk about my teaching since he's never been in a classroom. The problem is that I have less and less respect for him the longer I work with him.
Comments