A friend loaned me her copy of A World Without Us. The book is not a feel good type of book. The premise of the book is to discuss what the world would be like without humans. More importantly it talks about the footprint humans are leaving. Basically we are doing a fine job destroying our world, but then again I already knew that, right?!
Last night as I was reading the chapter "Polymers are Forever," I became a bit more disturbed than I had with previous chapters. After all I am not naive, I know I need to be a better steward of the Earth and know that plastic is evil. To what extent left me feeling more depressed. Basically I am using products that I had no idea contain plastic. Yesterday I felt savvy as I saved two dollars with a coupon (actually three dollars on two) on facial cleanser. Although it's not the brand I typically use, I was happy to "stock up" and "save some green." Green, now there's an interesting word. St. Ives is the cleanser I typically use. According to Alan Weisman, I should have bought my typical cleanser. It seems many facial cleansers have plastic. Of course I rose from my chair to check the ingredients, "oxidized polyethylene acrylates." As Weisman eloquently stated, I am washing plastic down the drain. Nice, there's no recycling at that point.
I actually called my friend at this point to discuss my disgust. This was before the chapter about oil and nuclear waste. After I finished talking to J on the phone, I thought about her five year old daughter. What will H think if she picks up this book from her parent's shelf thirteen years from now? Will she think, "Wow, they really turned the world around." or will she think "Wow, they knew this thirteen years ago and still drink soda from plastic bottles."? Of course it is not easy to live "green."
Tonight at 8pm (your local time) is Earth Hour. For one hour we are asked to turn off our lights and electricity. Yes, that means turning off the NCAA game no matter what the score. Honestly, I might not switch off the game, but I hope to at minimum switch off all other electricity including my computer. I'm fairly sure Minneapolis (downtown) is participating in this event.
Last night as I was reading the chapter "Polymers are Forever," I became a bit more disturbed than I had with previous chapters. After all I am not naive, I know I need to be a better steward of the Earth and know that plastic is evil. To what extent left me feeling more depressed. Basically I am using products that I had no idea contain plastic. Yesterday I felt savvy as I saved two dollars with a coupon (actually three dollars on two) on facial cleanser. Although it's not the brand I typically use, I was happy to "stock up" and "save some green." Green, now there's an interesting word. St. Ives is the cleanser I typically use. According to Alan Weisman, I should have bought my typical cleanser. It seems many facial cleansers have plastic. Of course I rose from my chair to check the ingredients, "oxidized polyethylene acrylates." As Weisman eloquently stated, I am washing plastic down the drain. Nice, there's no recycling at that point.
I actually called my friend at this point to discuss my disgust. This was before the chapter about oil and nuclear waste. After I finished talking to J on the phone, I thought about her five year old daughter. What will H think if she picks up this book from her parent's shelf thirteen years from now? Will she think, "Wow, they really turned the world around." or will she think "Wow, they knew this thirteen years ago and still drink soda from plastic bottles."? Of course it is not easy to live "green."
Tonight at 8pm (your local time) is Earth Hour. For one hour we are asked to turn off our lights and electricity. Yes, that means turning off the NCAA game no matter what the score. Honestly, I might not switch off the game, but I hope to at minimum switch off all other electricity including my computer. I'm fairly sure Minneapolis (downtown) is participating in this event.
Comments