Tonight my church is going to have a Maundy Thursday worship service including foot washing. The Oprah magazine's latest issue has an article written by Edwidge Danticat (the author of a book I am waiting to read) who speaks of her experience with foot washing. She mentions that it made her "...feel stronger in a way one experiences only by extending oneself, one's hand, unguardedly toward another."
Although I typically like to try new things, I will not be attending the service tonight even though I've contemplated it all week. Actually I've gone back and forth all day. After school I wasn't going to go. Fifteen minutes ago I was going to go. Currently, I'm going to keep my feet covered with my warm, fuzzy socks and stay home. Foot washing may be a way to remember the Last Supper and a way to "be humble in the treatment of each other," but I will remember the last supper by reading my Bible. I don't feel brave (if that's the word) enough to have this experience.
Gratitudes:
1) first day of spring
2) last day of the work week
3) sleep (and a new box of Puffs)
Although I typically like to try new things, I will not be attending the service tonight even though I've contemplated it all week. Actually I've gone back and forth all day. After school I wasn't going to go. Fifteen minutes ago I was going to go. Currently, I'm going to keep my feet covered with my warm, fuzzy socks and stay home. Foot washing may be a way to remember the Last Supper and a way to "be humble in the treatment of each other," but I will remember the last supper by reading my Bible. I don't feel brave (if that's the word) enough to have this experience.
Gratitudes:
1) first day of spring
2) last day of the work week
3) sleep (and a new box of Puffs)
Comments
I had a very powerful foot washing experience at the end of a mission trip. The leaders (of which I was one) washed the kids feet and prayed with them. God filled my mouth with the words to share with the kids. It was AMAZING!
Happy Easter! He is risen!
Katie