I realize in the spirit of Lent I wasn't going to share my Lenten practices, but today I am going to share one. This morning I received a letter (as did 70,000 other subscribers) from The Sun Magazine. Before I opened it, I was fairly sure they were asking for money I didn't have. Indeed I was correct, but after I read the letter I had a change of sentiment. Maybe I did have the money. Although I won't give the specifics, the letter gave an anecdote that described the integrity of this nonprofit journal. Each month I look forward to reading the stories, essays, poems, and interview as well as perusing the photographs. It is delightful to have a magazine minus the never ending advertisements.
During Lent I am tallying the hot cocoas I purchase and matching the money spent in the form of a donation to a charitable organization. Before this morning I was still debating the charitable organization. Although The Sun Magazine is probably not a charitable organization, it is a nonprofit. I'm sure The Sun Magazine would still follow the same integrity without my donation. Then again, what if all the readers believed the same thing?
Gratitudes:
1) a sunny morning walk
2) a new idea for class on Tuesday
3) no class until Tuesday (two more days to my weekend)
During Lent I am tallying the hot cocoas I purchase and matching the money spent in the form of a donation to a charitable organization. Before this morning I was still debating the charitable organization. Although The Sun Magazine is probably not a charitable organization, it is a nonprofit. I'm sure The Sun Magazine would still follow the same integrity without my donation. Then again, what if all the readers believed the same thing?
Gratitudes:
1) a sunny morning walk
2) a new idea for class on Tuesday
3) no class until Tuesday (two more days to my weekend)
Comments