I only have three students passing my second hour class. As the students are working on their introductory assignment, I hear a female student tell a fellow classmate that Ms. M is a good teacher. Later the same students are working on an assignment they started yesterday.
Yesterday they listened to (and read the lyrics) the song Vultures by John Mayer. We discussed how the vultures symbolized obstacles. After this discussion, I asked the students to list the "vultures" in their lives (the obstacles to doing well in school).
Today I asked them to copy their list onto a final draft sheet for their conference folder.
The same female student starts with Ms. M is a vulture. I approach her desk.
FS- Can I write your name down?
M- Yes, if I am an obstacle.
FS- What's an obstacle?
M- Something that gets in the way.
FS- But you're not getting in the way because you're a good teacher.
M- You want to write down things that get in the way of you doing well in school.
FS- Oh!
If I'm a good teacher, I'm fairly sure she would know what an obstacle was from yesterday's lesson. If she didn't get it during yesterday's lesson and I was a good teacher, she certainly would have figured it out with today's review... so much for being a good teacher.
Gratitudes:
1) last night's eclipse and the full moon shining this am on my way to work
2) the satisfaction of finding two students books that "fit"
3) first day all week with no junk mail
Yesterday they listened to (and read the lyrics) the song Vultures by John Mayer. We discussed how the vultures symbolized obstacles. After this discussion, I asked the students to list the "vultures" in their lives (the obstacles to doing well in school).
Today I asked them to copy their list onto a final draft sheet for their conference folder.
The same female student starts with Ms. M is a vulture. I approach her desk.
FS- Can I write your name down?
M- Yes, if I am an obstacle.
FS- What's an obstacle?
M- Something that gets in the way.
FS- But you're not getting in the way because you're a good teacher.
M- You want to write down things that get in the way of you doing well in school.
FS- Oh!
If I'm a good teacher, I'm fairly sure she would know what an obstacle was from yesterday's lesson. If she didn't get it during yesterday's lesson and I was a good teacher, she certainly would have figured it out with today's review... so much for being a good teacher.
Gratitudes:
1) last night's eclipse and the full moon shining this am on my way to work
2) the satisfaction of finding two students books that "fit"
3) first day all week with no junk mail
Comments