
A colleague asked me to look at a young adult book he's writing. I agreed feeling it was an honor to be asked. After I looked at a couple of pages, I asked the colleague for guidance on my task... what were his expectations. This weekend I started editing and became overwhelmed. I was thankful for the four football games as I was able to have them on as I read and edited the novel.
For the most part I am working with punctuation and some minor discrepancies. One such inconsistency had to do with the main character's Iowa Hawkeyes pillow. Of course I explained that since the boys parents had jobs that a graduate from ISU not UofI would possess, the boy would have an Iowa State Cyclones pillow. Besides the boy is fairly creative and intelligent, so he certainly would have a Cyclones pillow and not the other university... no need to type that word twice. The story is engaging which makes the task less painful.
Currently I am finished with 28 of the 36 chapters. I have 44 pages left. Yes, I counted them. It was an honor; wasn't it? At least the colleague seemed impressed with the amount I accomplished this weekend. Hopefully he will feel the same when I am finished.
Comments