Today as I am perplexed at my anguish of 85º and sunny (maybe because it's October 6th and I'm not working out), I am also feeling homesick for Iowa. It's sad to say, but it's not necessarily homesick for family. I'm homesick for the wonderful things Iowa has to offer. One example would be the men and boys in Iowa. You don't find the big, strong, and beautiful guys Iowa has to offer in Minneapolis.
Another important aspect Iowa has to offer that is somehow missed in Minnesota (land of ten thousand lakes none as beautiful as Lake Okoboji) is the concept of multiple college conferences. Today Texas and Oklahoma are playing. I was going to watch the game and work on school stuff. One can't do this in Minnesota because they somehow have the inability to show anything that is not Big 10. Although I will consider watching Iowa get massacred as a replacement, it's really not the same. For those Minnesotans reading this blog thinking that this seems strange since I am missing Iowa, remember the two conferences... Iowa Big 10- Bad, Iowa State Big XII- good.
My homesickness for sports is not limited to football. In Iowa people would be excited that the Cubs were in the playoffs. I could walk down the street or walk in a bar and discuss how horrible the Cubs are playing and how they need to win tonight. Many Iowans are Cubs fans and understand the excitement and disappointment of having the Cubs in the playoffs. They understand that if the Cubs don't get to the World Series (which is unlikely) this year, next year will mark the 100th anniversary of the last time they were in the World Series.
It's time to walk to my local independent bookstore and contemplate how I'm going to get school work done when I have nothing to watch in the background to keep me occupied, but first I am going to post a part II to my sad day of missing Iowa.
Another important aspect Iowa has to offer that is somehow missed in Minnesota (land of ten thousand lakes none as beautiful as Lake Okoboji) is the concept of multiple college conferences. Today Texas and Oklahoma are playing. I was going to watch the game and work on school stuff. One can't do this in Minnesota because they somehow have the inability to show anything that is not Big 10. Although I will consider watching Iowa get massacred as a replacement, it's really not the same. For those Minnesotans reading this blog thinking that this seems strange since I am missing Iowa, remember the two conferences... Iowa Big 10- Bad, Iowa State Big XII- good.
My homesickness for sports is not limited to football. In Iowa people would be excited that the Cubs were in the playoffs. I could walk down the street or walk in a bar and discuss how horrible the Cubs are playing and how they need to win tonight. Many Iowans are Cubs fans and understand the excitement and disappointment of having the Cubs in the playoffs. They understand that if the Cubs don't get to the World Series (which is unlikely) this year, next year will mark the 100th anniversary of the last time they were in the World Series.
It's time to walk to my local independent bookstore and contemplate how I'm going to get school work done when I have nothing to watch in the background to keep me occupied, but first I am going to post a part II to my sad day of missing Iowa.
Comments