Today I lost my school keys. Lost is a harsh word; I misplaced my school keys. I realized this when I went to get my lip stuff attached to the keys. We had three meetings this afternoon. The keys turned up missing prior to the first of three. When we started the second, I asked to leave to look for my keys.
As I was digging through my bag in my room, a former student appeared at the door. It was as though I was meant to leave the meeting to talk to her. A is a very intelligent kid, but she has a history of major drug abuse. Currently she is living with her mother up north and has been moved up a year in school, so she will be with kids her age (to 11th). The conversation started by my mentioning how pleased I was to see her and ended with my questioning her sobriety. Actually it wasn't the end of the conversation.
M- Are you clean?
A- I just went through eleven months of rehab.
M- That doesn't mean you're clean.
A- (small smile)
M- You are a very intelligent young lady, and you and I have talked about drugs and alcohol before. Even if you aren't totally clean, I hope you are taking sobriety seriously. It's a tough road. Many intelligent people get bored and use to relieve the boredom.
A- I know.
M- You also know that I am here if you need to talk or e-mail.
A- Thanks.
We talked a little more, and she left after our brief conversation. This is one of the times I was actually glad I had misplaced my keys. It was good that I was there to talk with her, and I really think she was pleased even though I was "real" with her.
As I was digging through my bag in my room, a former student appeared at the door. It was as though I was meant to leave the meeting to talk to her. A is a very intelligent kid, but she has a history of major drug abuse. Currently she is living with her mother up north and has been moved up a year in school, so she will be with kids her age (to 11th). The conversation started by my mentioning how pleased I was to see her and ended with my questioning her sobriety. Actually it wasn't the end of the conversation.
M- Are you clean?
A- I just went through eleven months of rehab.
M- That doesn't mean you're clean.
A- (small smile)
M- You are a very intelligent young lady, and you and I have talked about drugs and alcohol before. Even if you aren't totally clean, I hope you are taking sobriety seriously. It's a tough road. Many intelligent people get bored and use to relieve the boredom.
A- I know.
M- You also know that I am here if you need to talk or e-mail.
A- Thanks.
We talked a little more, and she left after our brief conversation. This is one of the times I was actually glad I had misplaced my keys. It was good that I was there to talk with her, and I really think she was pleased even though I was "real" with her.
Comments