Today we were scheduled for a combo (halibut and salmon) all day charter. The water was super rough, so many boats didn't go out, and it seems that no one did halibut. We listened to the skippers discuss the waves, wind knots, weather, and miscellaneous (some appropriate and some not) chatter on the radios while we drove to fishing spots and fished. Although we didn't get our salmon limit, Dad caught four and I caught three. Considering the weather and the water, fishing was good. Actually our boat did better than most of the other boats. Besides, I can't complain about much when the sights are incredible.
Homer surpasses Seward in many ways. Fishing is one of these. We paid more to go out today than we would have in Homer, and the Homer charter outclassed today's Seward charter. If I am going to pay money for a charter, I want someone helping me (all of the time). Many times I was thankful Dad was there to help me because the skipper was neither friendly nor helpful. Four of us landed salmon at the same time. Even though I landed mine first, Skip helped everyone else before getting my fish. By that time my fish snapped my line.
Comments