Skip to main content

Holy Thursday

Today is Holy Thursday. As part of my adding to Lent, I went to the 12:00 service and plan on attending the service this evening. As I sat waiting for the service to begin, I took in the senses of the chapel... the faint scent of burning candle, the whisperings of others, the shoes tapping on the wooden floor, the smoothness of the wooden pew, the presentation of the eucharist draped in white, the vibration of the organ. Knowing the sense of taste would be the bread and the wine (grape juice), I wondered about the senses surrounding the Last Supper. More importantly, I wondered what they were feeling, sensing inside. My feelings typically center around the somberness of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday in juxtaposition to the celebration of Easter Sunday. I felt the same way waiting for service to start today.

After (probably during) the service I realized that was indeed the message... service. It wasn't being somber or the holiness of the day; it was doing as Jesus said at that fateful gathering. Love one another. Today is about the suffering He must have felt knowing what was to come. Knowing the desertion and denial, he asked the disciples (us!) to love another. Loving one another means doing service and helping. It means carrying the Spirit.

Loving one another is easy with people I like yet not so easy with others. I am currently reading Anne Lamott's book Grace (Eventually): Thoughts of Faith. She mentions that "Donald Rumsfold is just as innocent in God's eyes as a newborn..." In another sections she explains how God loves Karl Rove and GW Bush." Although I know she is probably correct, I need to love everyone; it is "easier said than done." I guess it's one more thing for me to work on and contemplate. My guess is it's the same for her!

My gratitude list for today:
1) the Spirit
2) church (building and family)
3) helping a friend

My

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...