Last night I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. McCarthy is phenomenal! Although I enjoyed (I'm not sure enjoyed is the word... contemplated) his other books, I couldn't quit thinking about this book. It took me forever to get to sleep. At first I was confused by the punctuation. Typically he takes liberties with punctuation which works for him and his style. When I started reading, his lack of apostrophes was driving me crazy. After 46 (?) pages of reading, I started a tally to figure out when he used them (anytime it's not negative n't). As soon as I realized his pattern, I went back and started from the beginning. I also had a dictionary (used often) with me as I read the entire book. He is truly a gifted writer.
I think everyone should read this book, so I really don't want to talk about the plot (would love to after you've read it... you know talk about the book as opposed to talking about your kids or your spring break!). The back of the book is concise when it states: "The Road is an unflinching meditation on the worst and the best that we are capable of: ultimate destructiveness, desperate tenacity, and the tenderness that keeps two people alive in the face of total devastation." I literally had both chills and tears as I read the book although I won't tell you in what parts.
After I finished the book, I went to Oprah's website and read the comments. Someone blasted Oprah because it wasn't non-fiction, and one can't learn from fiction. If a book makes you think about our probably dire future (or present), one can learn. Actually several people commented on Katrina (the disaster and the aftermath). This wasn't necessarily a "shining moment" for humanity, was it? Today in church Rabbi Zimmerman spoke again since it was Holocaust Remembrance Day for the Hebrews. She said we need to commemorate this event by listening, silence, and telling. In my opinion we should hold on to Katrina, Iraq, and other devastations in a similar manner. Another reader was upset that it didn't mention Christianity. The symbolism in this book is there for anyone who has read the Bible (listened in church). What "fire" did he/she think was being carried? What about the blind man on the side of the road? Actually I was debating whether or not this was a reference to Saul, or it was a reference to "when did we see you..." In the service I attend today, a guest speaker mentioned that something could be "religious and spiritual and not mention Jesus." Many also questioned the age of the boy and the man, why they weren't named, and what kind of disaster. To me this was a "no brainer." By making it ambiguous, it was more universal. I'm sure that I only understood a small amount of what this book has to offer. The writing style may be "simplistic," but the content was powerful. At some point I will definitely have to use my "pea brain" to read it again.
I think everyone should read this book, so I really don't want to talk about the plot (would love to after you've read it... you know talk about the book as opposed to talking about your kids or your spring break!). The back of the book is concise when it states: "The Road is an unflinching meditation on the worst and the best that we are capable of: ultimate destructiveness, desperate tenacity, and the tenderness that keeps two people alive in the face of total devastation." I literally had both chills and tears as I read the book although I won't tell you in what parts.
After I finished the book, I went to Oprah's website and read the comments. Someone blasted Oprah because it wasn't non-fiction, and one can't learn from fiction. If a book makes you think about our probably dire future (or present), one can learn. Actually several people commented on Katrina (the disaster and the aftermath). This wasn't necessarily a "shining moment" for humanity, was it? Today in church Rabbi Zimmerman spoke again since it was Holocaust Remembrance Day for the Hebrews. She said we need to commemorate this event by listening, silence, and telling. In my opinion we should hold on to Katrina, Iraq, and other devastations in a similar manner. Another reader was upset that it didn't mention Christianity. The symbolism in this book is there for anyone who has read the Bible (listened in church). What "fire" did he/she think was being carried? What about the blind man on the side of the road? Actually I was debating whether or not this was a reference to Saul, or it was a reference to "when did we see you..." In the service I attend today, a guest speaker mentioned that something could be "religious and spiritual and not mention Jesus." Many also questioned the age of the boy and the man, why they weren't named, and what kind of disaster. To me this was a "no brainer." By making it ambiguous, it was more universal. I'm sure that I only understood a small amount of what this book has to offer. The writing style may be "simplistic," but the content was powerful. At some point I will definitely have to use my "pea brain" to read it again.
Comments