Today was the first of four MCA (Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments) tests. We continued with our schedule in the afternoon and shortened classes. My last class took too long to get started. D comes into my class late and sits down in his desk. I give him the look, so he clears his desk.
"Is there anything else you want to do?" I start.
He looks to his neighbors and reaches for his book.
"Anything else?"
He gives the class another glance and reaches for his papers.
"Anything else?"
I get a blank stare.
"Are there any school rules you would like to follow?"
"Oh yeah." He grabs his pants and pulls them above his butt.
"Any other school rules?"
A blank stare is followed by his walk to the garbage can. Forty-five seconds later he spits his gum and and sits down.
I ask him to spit out his gum every day. Yesterday he actually put a book up in front of his face, so I wouldn't see him chew it which obviously made it more noticable.
"D. Tonight you need to go home and practice chewing your gum in front of the mirror. There are kids that sit in my class everyday with gum that I never notice because they don't chomp it," I say as I demonstrate what it looks like as he's chewing his gum. Then I start class.
"Is there anything else you want to do?" I start.
He looks to his neighbors and reaches for his book.
"Anything else?"
He gives the class another glance and reaches for his papers.
"Anything else?"
I get a blank stare.
"Are there any school rules you would like to follow?"
"Oh yeah." He grabs his pants and pulls them above his butt.
"Any other school rules?"
A blank stare is followed by his walk to the garbage can. Forty-five seconds later he spits his gum and and sits down.
I ask him to spit out his gum every day. Yesterday he actually put a book up in front of his face, so I wouldn't see him chew it which obviously made it more noticable.
"D. Tonight you need to go home and practice chewing your gum in front of the mirror. There are kids that sit in my class everyday with gum that I never notice because they don't chomp it," I say as I demonstrate what it looks like as he's chewing his gum. Then I start class.
Comments