Tonight is the Tenebrae service at church. I wasn't sure what tenebrae meant. According to a semi-credible Google site, tenebrae is Latin for shadows, and the service deals with the emotional importance of the Holy week. To find more information, I looked the word up on dictionary.com. which was not helpful.
**Ten·e·brae /ˈtɛnəˌbreɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ten-uh-brey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun (used with a singular or plural verb) Roman Catholic Church.
the office of matins and lauds for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of Holy Week, sung respectively on the afternoon of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of that week, at which the Crucifixion is commemorated by the gradual extinguishment of candles.
"tenebrae." Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. 06 Apr. 2007..
The Good Friday message always has emotional impact for me because of the choices made. Jesus was sent to us as a man who dealt with abandonment, betrayal, calamities, disappointments... all for us. At my hometown church, the previous minister used to hand out black arm bands at the Good Friday service for the members to wear until the celebration of Easter. I'll admit it was a gimmick, but I think it did get people thinking/talking. Sometimes we're in such a hurry to get from Palm Sunday to Easter. We want the good without thinking of the sacrifices. Tonight I will listen and try to imagine the pain and suffering knowing that the Holy week message is more than the resurrection and "good news" of Easter.
My gratitude list for today:
1) shopping with friend and her daughter (Honey Bunny at Great Harvest)
2) opportunity to share in the Good Friday experience
3) day of relaxation
**Ten·e·brae /ˈtɛnəˌbreɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ten-uh-brey] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun (used with a singular or plural verb) Roman Catholic Church.
the office of matins and lauds for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of Holy Week, sung respectively on the afternoon of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of that week, at which the Crucifixion is commemorated by the gradual extinguishment of candles.
"tenebrae." Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. 06 Apr. 2007.
The Good Friday message always has emotional impact for me because of the choices made. Jesus was sent to us as a man who dealt with abandonment, betrayal, calamities, disappointments... all for us. At my hometown church, the previous minister used to hand out black arm bands at the Good Friday service for the members to wear until the celebration of Easter. I'll admit it was a gimmick, but I think it did get people thinking/talking. Sometimes we're in such a hurry to get from Palm Sunday to Easter. We want the good without thinking of the sacrifices. Tonight I will listen and try to imagine the pain and suffering knowing that the Holy week message is more than the resurrection and "good news" of Easter.
My gratitude list for today:
1) shopping with friend and her daughter (Honey Bunny at Great Harvest)
2) opportunity to share in the Good Friday experience
3) day of relaxation
Comments