Today is the 37th Earth Day, and it seems little is being done to protect our Earth. Although there seems to be more public interest in global warning and protecting our environment, the government seems to sabotage most of these efforts. Truthout.org has an article today discussing global warming and public interest. The cliche "Every day is Earth day" needs to become more of a reality. The three Rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle) need to be practiced. I try to walk to complete a number of my errands instead of driving and buy products with less packaging (reduce). I try to buy used books and purchase items that are not limited to one use and buy products made from recycled materials (reuse). I try to recycle by the obvious recycling of plastics, newspapers, etc. plus take as many of my items to organizations that can reuse and redistribute them (recycle). Notice I said I try. With a little effort I think I could do a better job.
Today the Discovery Channel is running several of its Planet Earth episodes. The couple I've seen are tremendous (vibrant, amazing, and informative). Maybe looking at the wonders of Planet Earth will remind everyone of the importance of doing what is best for this planet, our home. As I look at my students' message boards and peruse their writings, I will watch and learn more about my home and the home of many other creatures.
Today the Discovery Channel is running several of its Planet Earth episodes. The couple I've seen are tremendous (vibrant, amazing, and informative). Maybe looking at the wonders of Planet Earth will remind everyone of the importance of doing what is best for this planet, our home. As I look at my students' message boards and peruse their writings, I will watch and learn more about my home and the home of many other creatures.
Comments