I am involved in four book clubs. This week I met with two of the book clubs. The first one on Wednesday was supposed to start at 4:00 pm. It was 4:45 by the time everyone arrived. We spent approximately fifteen minutes talking about the book of which I had actually taken the time to mark several passages for conversation. This book club loves to talk about baby names and children. Since the pregnant member was absent, I thought I should give a quote from the book immediately to direct the converstation to the literature. As soon as we started talking about spring break and children, I knew it was over. Maybe it didn't help that there was a MAJOR miscommunication and only four people showed.
Last night I met with the second book club. We spent the first hour (or more) talking about spring break. When we finally started talking about the book, the conversation was actually decent. I don't mind talking and reconnecting with everyone, but I really think we could accomplish this in thirty minutes or less. The night ended as we tried to decide which book to read next. It's actually a good system as people were assigned a month for which to pick a book. Unfortunately, the person who is choosing the book for May is the one person whom I would have preferred didn't choose the book. Typically, I am less than thrilled with the choices. When she said she wanted to read the book she bought at an airport in Spain, I was concerned. This concern only grew as she mentioned she didn't know the title. Since I typically forget titles, I asked her what the book was about. She couldn't answer that question either. Oh! This ought to be a thrilling read.
At least my book club that meets the first Wednesday of each month actually talks about the book. It's actually quite refreshing. The last book club doesn't necessarily always have the best discussion, but it is a great place to talk about other book titles and books as well as the suggested read. My major frustration with my book clubs is that I have higher expectations for the book circles my students are participating in during class. If they were as off task as we were last night, I would be handing out worksheets and making them read silently instead of being involved in discussion.
Last night I met with the second book club. We spent the first hour (or more) talking about spring break. When we finally started talking about the book, the conversation was actually decent. I don't mind talking and reconnecting with everyone, but I really think we could accomplish this in thirty minutes or less. The night ended as we tried to decide which book to read next. It's actually a good system as people were assigned a month for which to pick a book. Unfortunately, the person who is choosing the book for May is the one person whom I would have preferred didn't choose the book. Typically, I am less than thrilled with the choices. When she said she wanted to read the book she bought at an airport in Spain, I was concerned. This concern only grew as she mentioned she didn't know the title. Since I typically forget titles, I asked her what the book was about. She couldn't answer that question either. Oh! This ought to be a thrilling read.
At least my book club that meets the first Wednesday of each month actually talks about the book. It's actually quite refreshing. The last book club doesn't necessarily always have the best discussion, but it is a great place to talk about other book titles and books as well as the suggested read. My major frustration with my book clubs is that I have higher expectations for the book circles my students are participating in during class. If they were as off task as we were last night, I would be handing out worksheets and making them read silently instead of being involved in discussion.
Comments