Thanks to a wonderful friend I am once again receiving the Utne Reader. This month there are several articles on illegal immigration. One article title "Putting a Stop to Slave Labor" compares this work force to slavery. "Economically speaking, they served the same purpose as the Africans who slave for American masters through the first half of our nations history."
Illigal immigration has been a concern of mine since I worked as a server when I came to Minneapolis. Although I couldn't tell you which people I worked with had a green card, I am sure that many didn't have this illusive piece of paper. It seems to me that it should be easier to become a U.S. citizen. Most of these illegal immigrants work for very low wages, complete jobs most U.S. citizens won't do, and manage to send money to their family.
Last Sunday in church a woman asked us to pray for three children who are being deported. In December I watched in horror as immigration invaded Worthington (also mentioned in one of the articles). I am not naive and realize the complexity of this issue. If these immigrants were to become citizens, they would need to be paid more and our prices would rise. Morally I think we owe them a decent wage. These are hard working people.
My gratitude list for today:
1) Big XII basketball
2) sun streaming in my windows
3) clearing my parking lot
Illigal immigration has been a concern of mine since I worked as a server when I came to Minneapolis. Although I couldn't tell you which people I worked with had a green card, I am sure that many didn't have this illusive piece of paper. It seems to me that it should be easier to become a U.S. citizen. Most of these illegal immigrants work for very low wages, complete jobs most U.S. citizens won't do, and manage to send money to their family.
Last Sunday in church a woman asked us to pray for three children who are being deported. In December I watched in horror as immigration invaded Worthington (also mentioned in one of the articles). I am not naive and realize the complexity of this issue. If these immigrants were to become citizens, they would need to be paid more and our prices would rise. Morally I think we owe them a decent wage. These are hard working people.
My gratitude list for today:
1) Big XII basketball
2) sun streaming in my windows
3) clearing my parking lot
Comments