Tonight I went to a performance put on my students of color from my district. This year's event was held at another venue because last year's attendance was too large for the previous venue. Although I don't know the specifics there were some activities outside the show last year that needed police presence. Towards the end of tonight's show the emcee (and student leader) came on stage and spoke about respecting the kids and how the devil had been in the auditorium. It seemed sketchy at the very least, but I assumed she was talking about drug dealings and/or fights. When 1/4 of the crowded auditorium started running toward the door, we decided to leave out the other exit. Already at the scene were a marked car and an unmarked car. As I left the parking lot, another patrol arrived with lights.
I am saddened by the fact that a few thugs can ruin an event that was supposed to showcase students of color. Stereotypes are perpetuated by such events. Several of my students like to refer to themselves as "gangsters." The people tonight acting as "gangsters" probably aren't even related to the students who were performing, yet they still tarnished the entire event. At least some fellow colleagues whom have already formed their prejudices weren't present to watch the mob mentality.
My gratitude list:
1) people who give a great deal of time and effort to support our students of color
2) dinner with a colleague whom with I never spend time outside of school
3) accupuncture
I am saddened by the fact that a few thugs can ruin an event that was supposed to showcase students of color. Stereotypes are perpetuated by such events. Several of my students like to refer to themselves as "gangsters." The people tonight acting as "gangsters" probably aren't even related to the students who were performing, yet they still tarnished the entire event. At least some fellow colleagues whom have already formed their prejudices weren't present to watch the mob mentality.
My gratitude list:
1) people who give a great deal of time and effort to support our students of color
2) dinner with a colleague whom with I never spend time outside of school
3) accupuncture
Comments