After I felt pressure (positive) from a couple of people at school, I decided to try a Poetry Slam the last three days before spring break. It's actually more of a poetry presentation. Each student presents twice (practice/final). After a day of presentations, I have a headache. I am amazed at the apathy many students showed during this process.
Poetry also brings out the hurt and pain many students feel. This morning I took two poems to the counselor. One was written by a student (who we feel is depressed) about suicide. The other was written by a spoiled honors student talking about his "Lego Wife." It was obnoxious and chauvenistic mentioning when she "moans and whines" the male student will change her attitude ending with the line, "She will do what I say." Actually, I think it has to be at least partially plagiarized, but I googled it and found nothing. Several talked about the misery of divorce or losing a parent. One girl spoke of a parent that won't get over the divorce while she (the daugher) wants to move on.
Other poems showed the complexities of race in our society. After talking to the mentor supervisor this morning about how students seem to miss important gaps from slavery to Rosa Parks to today, a student shared her poem about how ancestors picking cotton want more for the future than "sagging" and shirts a size too small. Another student (Latino) talked about crossing the border to the "American Dream" with only a soccer ball.
Students with the courage to "be real" did awesome! This is something that can't be taught.
My gratitude list for today:
1) morning sky (shades of pink, purple,and blue)
2) J's mom (mending my dad's pants)
3) S understanding I wanted to skip dinner
Poetry also brings out the hurt and pain many students feel. This morning I took two poems to the counselor. One was written by a student (who we feel is depressed) about suicide. The other was written by a spoiled honors student talking about his "Lego Wife." It was obnoxious and chauvenistic mentioning when she "moans and whines" the male student will change her attitude ending with the line, "She will do what I say." Actually, I think it has to be at least partially plagiarized, but I googled it and found nothing. Several talked about the misery of divorce or losing a parent. One girl spoke of a parent that won't get over the divorce while she (the daugher) wants to move on.
Other poems showed the complexities of race in our society. After talking to the mentor supervisor this morning about how students seem to miss important gaps from slavery to Rosa Parks to today, a student shared her poem about how ancestors picking cotton want more for the future than "sagging" and shirts a size too small. Another student (Latino) talked about crossing the border to the "American Dream" with only a soccer ball.
Students with the courage to "be real" did awesome! This is something that can't be taught.
My gratitude list for today:
1) morning sky (shades of pink, purple,and blue)
2) J's mom (mending my dad's pants)
3) S understanding I wanted to skip dinner
Comments