Tonight was student led conferences. I love student led conferences because I want the students to be accountable in front of the parents. Most of the students I saw at conferences tonight were there because they were doing well. The students that should have stopped by my room basically didn't show. At one point I had a room full of parents belonging to three 'A' students. Among this group was a student who was writing down missing assignments from the grades posted on the door. The grades are posted by ID number from highest to lowest. As his finger followed one of the bottom three lines, I explained the way the grades were posted pointing out that he was at the very bottom. When the student came back to where his mom and I were sitting, I asked him when the last time he had paper and a pencil in my class. The mom barely responded when he said it had been a month. Need I say more? I will work with those students who are failing and care, but I will not spend extra time working with students who can't bring paper and a pencil in my class!
My gratitude list for today:
1) my little brother who has been asked to present at a conference
2) students who really care about learning
3) a call from N as I was leaving school
My gratitude list for today:
1) my little brother who has been asked to present at a conference
2) students who really care about learning
3) a call from N as I was leaving school
Comments