This evening I was working on an idea for a research project which would be authentic for the students. After talking to a dear friend and colleague, I decided to come up with a list of questions to give kids an idea. I want them to research something they want to know. Since I am having a difficult time sleeping, not a good plan with hours of driving ahead of me tomorrow, I started a list.
*Why is it difficult to sleep when someone needs it the most?
*What makes hunting good for the environment?
*What are renewable fuels?
*Does the United States have a national language?
*What are the major causes of childhood obesity?
*What are sweatshops?
*When are immigrants called illegal aliens?
*How did Pythagoras get his theory?
*Why do we dream?
*What is the healthiest way to grow plants?
*What is the significance of the Jim Crow laws?
*What is the best way to catch a walleye?
*How did "Stomp" become a dance form?
*How does the Red Cross help in time of disaster?
*What causes a hurricane?
*How do I start a weight training program?
*What is the history of rap?
*How did the Dead Sea get it's name? Is it dead?
*How do I get money to pay for college?
*Which MP3 player is the best for my money?
You get the idea. As I was lying in bed with random questions popping in my mind and then to the pad I keep next to my bed, I decided to get up and post them. My hope was that by the time I returned from Iowa my colleauges (M & J) and wise language arts friends (L & J) would comment or e-mail me to help with my process. Obviously the yes/no questions aren't good research questions. Are they, however, good enough to start the students in research? This would also be an ideal time for anyone to add to my list!
*Why is it difficult to sleep when someone needs it the most?
*What makes hunting good for the environment?
*What are renewable fuels?
*Does the United States have a national language?
*What are the major causes of childhood obesity?
*What are sweatshops?
*When are immigrants called illegal aliens?
*How did Pythagoras get his theory?
*Why do we dream?
*What is the healthiest way to grow plants?
*What is the significance of the Jim Crow laws?
*What is the best way to catch a walleye?
*How did "Stomp" become a dance form?
*How does the Red Cross help in time of disaster?
*What causes a hurricane?
*How do I start a weight training program?
*What is the history of rap?
*How did the Dead Sea get it's name? Is it dead?
*How do I get money to pay for college?
*Which MP3 player is the best for my money?
You get the idea. As I was lying in bed with random questions popping in my mind and then to the pad I keep next to my bed, I decided to get up and post them. My hope was that by the time I returned from Iowa my colleauges (M & J) and wise language arts friends (L & J) would comment or e-mail me to help with my process. Obviously the yes/no questions aren't good research questions. Are they, however, good enough to start the students in research? This would also be an ideal time for anyone to add to my list!
Comments
Good questions!!
I was researching essential questions today for our research process work tomorrow and here are some links I found:
http://www.myprojectpages.com/support/ess_questpopup.htm
http://pt3.nmsu.edu/exploration1/unit/content_questions.html
http://www.uncwil.edu/cte/deskpress/classdiscuss/3catquest.htm
Your questions follow most of these guidelines to a T!
Have a good trip back.
J:)