Home visits are typically reserved for the elementary children and dying adults. This year our team is working with the Office of Equity and doing home visits. We chose twenty students who were failing in at least three classes. Responses from fellow educators were somewhat negative. One of our team members decided not to participate. Another teacher who is a friend of mine warned, "Be ready. You don't know what you will find."
Honestly, she was correct. I didn't know what I woud find. Tonight I visited the homes of four students. At least three of these students talked to me today because they didn't want me to come. All three of these students were smiling and happy when we left. The parents were all receptive and thankful for our visit. ALL thanked us for coming to their home.
It reminds me that as a society we are usually too quick to judge. If the parents don't show up for conferences, they must be a bad parent. If the student is failing, he/she must not care. Each student we talked to tonight cared. Two were teary eyed. These parents are working and doing their best to support their children. One of these parents is working two jobs because she doesn't have a car after her car broke down. One of these parents speaks at least three languages including Laotian, English, and Russian plus is an electrical engineer.
I didn't know what I would find, but what I found was definately worth missing Grey's Anatomy and working 12+ hours today. Besides Grey's will show again on television tomorrow while the chance to reach out to a family won't necessarily show tomorrow.
Honestly, she was correct. I didn't know what I woud find. Tonight I visited the homes of four students. At least three of these students talked to me today because they didn't want me to come. All three of these students were smiling and happy when we left. The parents were all receptive and thankful for our visit. ALL thanked us for coming to their home.
It reminds me that as a society we are usually too quick to judge. If the parents don't show up for conferences, they must be a bad parent. If the student is failing, he/she must not care. Each student we talked to tonight cared. Two were teary eyed. These parents are working and doing their best to support their children. One of these parents is working two jobs because she doesn't have a car after her car broke down. One of these parents speaks at least three languages including Laotian, English, and Russian plus is an electrical engineer.
I didn't know what I would find, but what I found was definately worth missing Grey's Anatomy and working 12+ hours today. Besides Grey's will show again on television tomorrow while the chance to reach out to a family won't necessarily show tomorrow.
Comments