For many years I have been part of various teams taking seventh graders to a "Courage Retreat." This year was no different except I was concerned about how today would go with the current group of students. The retreat went well. Most students were engaged and seemed pleased to be a part of this retreat. At the end students participate in "Pebble in the Pond." Students sit in a large circle. Placed in the center is a large glass bowl of water and small pebbles. Individual students take turns coming to the bowl, stating his/her act of courage, and placing a pebble in the bowl representing a stone in water (the ripple effect) symbolizing how one act of courage can make a difference in the school. As usual, students stated their act of courage such as: I will not gossip; I will do the right thing; I will help other people, etc.
As students left the large room which held the retreat and moved to the bus, I stood watching and listening. A group of four girls (M,Z,?,?) came storming down the hall arguing and swearing (girl drama). One boy (Da) pointed out the craziness of the situation and how they missed the point of the retreat. I would like to say that I was astounded, but unfortunately these girls don't get it! Maybe enough other students internalized the message and will in turn make a difference.
My gratitude list for today:
1) colleagues
2) sunshine and warm weather
3) Advil
As students left the large room which held the retreat and moved to the bus, I stood watching and listening. A group of four girls (M,Z,?,?) came storming down the hall arguing and swearing (girl drama). One boy (Da) pointed out the craziness of the situation and how they missed the point of the retreat. I would like to say that I was astounded, but unfortunately these girls don't get it! Maybe enough other students internalized the message and will in turn make a difference.
My gratitude list for today:
1) colleagues
2) sunshine and warm weather
3) Advil
Comments