Don't read if you don't want to view my stereotypical rantings.
When I was in college, I took the appropriate coaching classes (most with a very handsome, very close friend). I took these classes to ensure that I would actually obtain a teaching job and to be around beautiful men. Actually I even helped direct a musical during my student teaching for the same reason (job not men). During my first five years of teaching I coached and even was editor of the yearbook to make sure I had a job. My primary concern was my classroom and teaching not the extracurricular activities.
I made a decision when I moved to Minneapolis not to coach. Teaching was my career not coaching. Others teach, so they can coach. Recently the make up of my team has changed. Instead of having four teachers and one coach, we have three teachers and two coaches. Interesting enough the three teachers have their masters (one is actually a thesis away) while the two coaches have no desire for further education. It is going to drive me crazy!
The new coach is more concerned about individual students whom he should give a chance before he listens to our rantings. He also refused to listen when I was talking about something he really needed to know for his next class. The other coach refused to go on home visits. While on a home visit last night, one of our students thought it would be a good idea to have his schedule changed. This morning the two coaches made it almost impossible to make this simple schedule change.
Coaches need to coach; teachers need to teach. I want to have colleagues who are teachers NOT COACHES!
When I was in college, I took the appropriate coaching classes (most with a very handsome, very close friend). I took these classes to ensure that I would actually obtain a teaching job and to be around beautiful men. Actually I even helped direct a musical during my student teaching for the same reason (job not men). During my first five years of teaching I coached and even was editor of the yearbook to make sure I had a job. My primary concern was my classroom and teaching not the extracurricular activities.
I made a decision when I moved to Minneapolis not to coach. Teaching was my career not coaching. Others teach, so they can coach. Recently the make up of my team has changed. Instead of having four teachers and one coach, we have three teachers and two coaches. Interesting enough the three teachers have their masters (one is actually a thesis away) while the two coaches have no desire for further education. It is going to drive me crazy!
The new coach is more concerned about individual students whom he should give a chance before he listens to our rantings. He also refused to listen when I was talking about something he really needed to know for his next class. The other coach refused to go on home visits. While on a home visit last night, one of our students thought it would be a good idea to have his schedule changed. This morning the two coaches made it almost impossible to make this simple schedule change.
Coaches need to coach; teachers need to teach. I want to have colleagues who are teachers NOT COACHES!
Comments
J:)