Last night I had three skaters in my classroom after school. All three were in my sk8 club last year. None of the three are in my class this year although two were in my class last year. They wanted to talk to me about getting sk8 club started this year. I told them about lack of funds, exorbitant cost of busses, and declining participation. After our sk8 club conversation we started talking about behavior problems and grades. These three are not stellar students. One of these boys and I talked about the detentions he owes and how he could make them up.
This morning I found him again and reminded him about showing up in detention this afternoon with homework ("two birds with one stone"). Later in the afternoon he showed up in my room. "May I use your phone," he asked.
"Why aren't you in detention?" I countered.
"I got kicked out!" he stated looking me in the eye.
"How did you get kicked out of detention?" I asked incredulously.
After he explained what happened, I realized why he was really in my room. He could have used any phone in the room. He used my phone because he wanted to let me know what happened face to face before I found out from someone else.
This morning I found him again and reminded him about showing up in detention this afternoon with homework ("two birds with one stone"). Later in the afternoon he showed up in my room. "May I use your phone," he asked.
"Why aren't you in detention?" I countered.
"I got kicked out!" he stated looking me in the eye.
"How did you get kicked out of detention?" I asked incredulously.
After he explained what happened, I realized why he was really in my room. He could have used any phone in the room. He used my phone because he wanted to let me know what happened face to face before I found out from someone else.
Comments