
When our book club decided to read In Cold Blood, I thought I remembered reading it in middle school or high school. The used copy I bought has the same cover I remember being on our bookshelf as I grew up. After reading it I still think I read it before, but I also think I must have been more patient as a youth. This time I found it riddled with too much detail. For some reason I appreciated the details when the men were captured, but I was bored by all of the details while they were on the run.
My favorite part of the book was the commentary on the death penalty at the end. Capote did an excellent job opposing the death penalty while illuminating both sides. At least I found it an opposition to the death penalty. I enjoyed the way he used quotes from the Bible for both sides. It reminds me of how the Neocons find verses to argue any issue.
Comments