Literature is sometimes a view into our own world as well as the world the author is trying to share and/or portray. This afternoon a former student came to talk to me. Last year she had family difficulties resulting from drug and alcohol abuse. Tonight we were discussing how things are going at home. It seems her brother is using again. We discussed the current situation and the difficulties. I asked if he was drinking and driving. When I told her at least he wasn't putting others in danger, it occurred to me that he is still putting her and her mother in danger. As I caught myself, I explained my thought process. We talked about how the choices her brother is making now will affect his future.
In agreement she told me about the book she was reading, "It's kind of like the book I'm reading."
"What book are you reading?" I asked.
"Blizzard's Wake," she replied.
"I read that this summer." I stated.
It's amazing because she obviously is getting a different message from the book than I did when I read it. Her message comes from the place she is now.
In agreement she told me about the book she was reading, "It's kind of like the book I'm reading."
"What book are you reading?" I asked.
"Blizzard's Wake," she replied.
"I read that this summer." I stated.
It's amazing because she obviously is getting a different message from the book than I did when I read it. Her message comes from the place she is now.
Comments