Skip to main content

We are all Criminals

www.crimeandjustice.org


"None of us got where we are solely by pullig ourselves up by our bootstraps.  We got here because somebody -- a parent, a teacher, an Ivy League crony or a few nuns-- bent down and helped us pick up our boots."       ~Thurgood Marshall

This morning my plan was to sleep in and stay out of the cold.  When a friend asked my to attend her church, I whined that I would go if she picked me up.  This church, Covenant, sits directly across the the Metrodome, so it was interesting parking for church as fans dressed in purple to watch the last game in the dome arrived.  As we walked in the church doors, there was a display (doesn't really explain and/or describe) about stories of criminals.  The premise is that we are all criminals and have done illegal acts although most of us have not been caught.  Perhaps, I personally could add the obvious such as drinking under age, driving under the influence, stealing candy from the neighborhood grocery store...  Reading the stories made me realize that it's probably true that the majority of people have done something illegal and not been caught.  One out of four (in Minnesota I think) have been caught, and it affects their future.  Many are young (teens, young adults) that don't even realize the impact it will have on their future.  One story was about a sixteen year old that traded her Aderall for a bracelet.  Both girls were arrested, and it sounds like this a felony (??? how could it be???) that will be on their record for fifteen years.  Anyway, it's supes interesting.  My guess is most people reading this blog have done illegal activity yet don't luckily don't have the record to show. The project is fascinating.  Oh, also look into Ban the Box if you don't know anything about it.  Basically, the employer has to look at the candidate first.  Later they can do a background check, but the person isn't automatically disqualified for their past.

Leaving the church, this man, in his purple attire yelled across the parking lot at me (and my dang boot).  Although I don't remember his exact words, he had me laughing with him.  He commented on my toes being cold then said I should pray for warmer weather.  It doesn't sound funny, but the setting and the frigid temperatures made it hilarious.  Wearing a boot must be like walking a dog.  I get everyone's attention.  One more week my friends, one more week...


Comments

LH said…
Yikes. This is a thought provoking exhibit.

I heard a moth podcast in the middle of the night about a Vietnam Vet, killing a Vietnamese soldier. Not a crime. But trading Adderall is. All so weird.

I heard the Metrodome was going down soon. FAREWELL METRODOME!